Grabbed a all-grain chocolate stout kit from the brew shop (forgot the grain bill _again_.) 8.5 lbs grain = 11 liters = 3 gallons @175 F. Added the grain and it was too hot. Dropped some ice in and it was still too hot. Dropped some more ice in and it was still too hot. Dropped about a quart of tap water in and it was too cold. Boiled the kettle and poured it in - 3 times! - and it was still too cold. 4th kettle and it was close enough (148 F) that I started the timer while boiling it one more time. Bloody hell!
The only thing I can think of to explain it is that the first batch of ice did the job, and I didn't stir well enough or wait long enough for the thermometer to register the change.
Aaaaanyways, the low grain bill is in part because we add 10 oz dextrose, an 12.5 oz lactose. I'm also adding 3.15 oz (90g - 1 wheel) of Mexican drinking chocolate, finely ground. All of that went in the wort.
3/4 oz UK Challenger (AA 6.5%) @ 1 hour.
1/4 oz UK Challenger (AA 6.5%) @ 15 min.
initial SG 1.040